Dancers are athletes that
must eat food that will serve them best as they train, develop and perform. And
the ideal food diet for me could be very different from someone else. However,
as a dance community, we can do better to share information about the food we’ve
found to be most beneficial for our strength, body development and preferred
weight. To be clear, the word “diet” in this context refers to the kinds of
foods that a community (professional dancers) habitually eats. This is not a blog
about “dieting” and/or weight loss. Rather, it is a blog to share information,
tips and advice from dancers about food, health and creating the strongest,
most agile and supple body possible. We strive for a body that can endure the
rigor, repetitiveness and elasticity that we ask of it day in and day out. Most
important is to find out what is right for you. This will take some trial and
error along with consulting your doctor. It is my hope that you find the
information here useful in helping you to reach and maintain your personal
goals as a healthy, professional dancer.
Who am I?
I started dancing a bit when I was about 10 years old. Unfortunately, I
felt insecure with my love of dance around the other boys at school and gave it
up for sports. I didn't start taking dance class seriously again until I was in
college. Outside of college and after graduating, I was fortunate to study at
the schools of the Pennsylvania Ballet, Joffrey Ballet and a terrific ballet
school in upstate NY. I also took classes in NYC at Cunningham, Limon, BDC,
Steps and a number of other studios. I danced professionally for
SusanStroman in NY, in National Tours, European Tours and regional productions
across the country.
Unfortunately, during most of my early training, I didn't know anything
about the right food diet for a dancer and didn’t give myself the nourishment
that would have been best. Eventually, I started learning about nutrition from
my friend and personal trainer back in New York City. This inspired a lot of
research and reading on my own. These days, I have the best nutritional guide
living under the same roof - and she will be the source for much of the
information that I write in this blog. My girlfriend is Debbie Kim, an
acupuncturist and nutritionist in Los Angeles. And if you are a professional
dancer working here in LA, there is a good chance that you have heard of her.
I'll let other dancers attest to her knowledge and how she has helped
them. But whether my information comes from Debbie or somewhere else, I always will
do my best to make sure that you know the source, so you can follow up for
yourself and make the best decisions for you. Wishing you many years of happy
dancing and success!
-Hayes Bergman
No comments:
Post a Comment